Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweet little teacher Berkley Ella!


This evening, while I was slicing up bread for dinner, I overheard Berkley in her most sweetest of sweet voices saying, "Hydee, sit! Hydee come here!!" Soon, her voice did get a little louder and before I knew it she was following Hydee around the house with her bag of sightwords in hand.

Yes, we have a few words that we are working on and at times, Berkley will pull them out on her own and surprise me by reading a word correctly on her own-without any help! Well, tonight I guess she decided to put on her very own teacher hat.

Soon, after parading around the house Hydee was corned laying on the kitchen floor. Berkley once again started in, with bag on words in hand. "Sit Hydee. Hydee look at this word. Do you see the picture Hydee? Look at the first letter?" YES, she REALLY said that. "Do you want a treat Hydee? It's the word sat Hydee."

I do promise that I've never used bribery in our learning process, but she was pulling it out of her own hat. Great out of the box thinking Berkley Ella!! So, while pretending to be "into" slicing the bread I couldn't help but be in awe of my little 2 and a half year old----interested enough in learning, wanting to teach another (okay, so just out dog) but, she just happened to be a student that was availabe with no choice!! How sweet it was!!

Hmm.....just like someone else I know......only thirty years ago......with teacher clothes on, pencil in hand teaching her little brothers. Major, watch out!! You'll be blessed to learn from you sister as she is not only your life long sister, friend, but will want to teach you many things as you will her.

Wait!!! I just remembered this afternoon, Berkley and Major were playing with their floor Alphabet mat.....and she was telling him, "this is a "M," M for Major!" Okay, let the teaching begin!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how adorable! And Wow! I wish I could have been there. It's wonderful you are writing this down Amy! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so my cherry pies "down on the farm" don't hold a candle to you, my site-word-teaching friend! That is amazing, yet why am I not surprised?

    ReplyDelete